Monday, April 11, 2016

What Winners REALLY Think About Their Comfort Zones

On September 3, 1939 at 11:15am Neville Chamberlain, then Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, declared a state of war between them and Germany.  

Immediately, when the war was declared, the mindset of the entire country was disrupted.   It was a life-and-death win-or-lose game.  No one in that country felt safe or secure.  

While on a volunteer mission in England, I spoke with an older woman that lived through that era.  I called her "Grandma Betty", she said to me relating the atmosphere of that experience:

"I remember us erecting cardboard buildings and tanks to deceive the enemy's photo-airplane spies that we were stronger than we actually looked.  We rationed food.  Sirens of the enemy planes approaching were a daily experience.  One day my childhood friend walking home from school got killed under fire from the fighter jets, it was a very uncertain time, but we did whatever it took to make it."

Because she and everyone on that little island chose to take action (whether compelled to or not) to protect their family, freedom, and faith, they Won World War II.  They won.

Why do I share this?

Because the other night, I listened to a lady, Marcie Whalen who had achieved financial freedom, declare 

"Comfort zones are the enemy!" 

(Def of Comfort Zone: a place or situation where one feels safe or at ease and without stress)

It was her own declaration of war again the enemy of success.  

It inspired me, because it made me remember:

- It's more comfortable to work on the computer than to call to serve a stranger
- It's more comfortable to stay at home than make a community presentation
- It's more comfortable to hold back my inner voice than to be vocally honest about what's wrong

Now some will say, "What's wrong with being comfortable?"

(Please don't confuse material comforts with a mindset of not taking action to become the best we can be.)  

I would simply say, "Is being comfortable the life you want to live?  If so, think comfortably.  Stay in your comfort zones.  Being uncomfortable to enjoy an even greater life isn't for everyone."  

That being said, I know from my own experience, that the Universe will create circumstances in my life where I'll get to a point of saying "This really sucks.  I need to change if I want this to change."  I count this moment as one of the biggest challenges/blessings of my life.

I believe the Universe has a vested interest in us becoming the best we could ever be.  And will provide an appropriate environment that will motivate us to "step-it-up" in whatever area we're struggling in.  This might come in the form of an unexpected financial bill, a speeding ticket, conflict in a relationship, personal doubt, a family member's health failing, and the list goes on and on.

My friend Brandon Broadwater at the Master Your Power Within 3 Day event shares about another layer that I found hugely revealing about comfort zones.

On a flipchart, he drew stepping stones.  And the little space in between those stepping stones represent what he calls "The Edge".  The moment when a person decides to step or not step over the edge can be compared to any epic, climatic movie battle scene where the forces of darkness and light clash.  Except, that instead of swords wailing, lasers firing, and battle-cries screaming, this is, a battle of beliefs.

“It is not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves.” ~Sir Edmund Hillary, Among the 1st Climbers to Reach Mount Everest

Those moments when I've ultimately achieved the dreams that I've desired have always required I be uncomfortable.

Before I was married, I was super uncomfortable with hand shaking with every number I dialed calling girls and asking them for dates.
Before I having finding a professional singing coach that works NBC's "The Voice", I was super uncomfortable believing, "Am I deserving of this relationship?  What if she says no?"
Before I made my 1st sale I had to fight through the mindset of "What if they don't buy?  What if they reject me?"

Here's the irony.  For a pinch of discomfort, and taking a moment of action consistently, there is a lifetime of rewards.  Because it's not just a moment, it's a habit.  It becomes the new normal, the new way of life.

My challenge to you is to find one thing that you're uncomfortable doing that you know the "best you" would do, and do it every single day.  That's my life resolution.

Love you all,

Have fun being uncomfortable, I look forward to your stories.

PS - Here's some of my favourite quotes of winners that I look up to below:


"If we are not a little bit uncomfortable every day, we're not growing.  All the good stuff is outside our comfort zone." - Jack Canfield, Top U.S. Self-Development Leader

"There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capably of living." - Nelson Mandela, Civil Rights Activist

"As you move outside of your comfort zone, what was once the unknown and frightening becomes your new normal." - Robin D. Sharma, Leadership Guru

"I've failed over and over and over again in my life and that is why I succeed." - Michael Jordan, Professional NBA and MVP Basketball Player

"Decide that you want it more than you are afraid of it."

"Great things never came from comfort zones" - Anonymous

"People that live inside their heads have a lot of unnecessary pain.  The solution is to live in the present." - Brandon Broadwater

"You'll always miss 100% of the shots you don't take." - Wayne Gretzky, NHL Hockey Player

"The ultimate comfort zone is within" - Oprah Winfrey

"If you want a muscle to grow, you must life something out of your comfort zone.  Push beyond what is comfortable, if you don't there will be no growth." - Tony Robbins

"If you can keep playing tennis when somebody is shooting a gun down the strength, that's concentration and ultimately being in the flow." - Serena Williams, Champion Tennis Player

"If you want something you've never had, you must be willing to do something you've never done." - Thomas Jefferson, President of the United States

"If you are on the right path, it will always be uphill." - Henry B. Eyring, World Religion Leader




2 comments:

  1. Love the article Rory! Such great insights. Comfort is something we all want. I sure seek it quite a bit, and sometimes it's okay, but I know that just as you say, being willing to do things that are uncomfortable can make our lives extraordinary. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing words Rory! I love your insight. The willingness to get uncomfortable eventually becomes the comfort if you keep showing up. Great words here Friend!

    ReplyDelete